Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Hillary Clinton Hates the First Amendment, too.

The Associated Press: Randi Rhodes Quits Air America Radio

I certainly don't think that Air America wanted to put pressure on their most popular host to quit after her comments regarding Senator Clinton. If they actually came to that conclusion on their own then they are poor business people and deserve to go under.

It is becoming more and more clear to me that Senator Clinton has a problem with freedom of speech. First, it was David Schuster on MSNBC, calling it like it saw it by saying that the Clintons were "pimping out" Chelsea to call on Super-delegates. That got him suspended from work for a few weeks after much weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Clinton camp. He should feel lucky that he didn't lose his job.

Instead of actually firing Ms. Rhodes, Air America came back to her with a woefully inadequate contract, trying to leverage her into a lot less money for her talent, using her Clinton comments as their bargaining chip. Mind you, Randi has (er, had) the most successful show on the Air America Network as of this writing. What was Air America thinking? I can only guess that they too got a call from the Clintons.

Good for Randi for saying good-bye to all that.

If Senator Clinton actually becomes the President, American citizens will wish for the good 'ol days of W when dissent only meant you didn't support the troops. Apparently people in the media can't voice an opinion or make a joke about Hillary without the threat of losing their job. Media companies need to stand up this now, and not set this "ok-we'll-do-what-you-say" precedent. What could this augur for regular people with a little blog that just want to rant?

I find Mrs. Clinton completely disingenuous; there is nothing she has to say that interests me in any way. That she voted for this war--and is now against it--says everything to me I need to know about her. I know America is ready for a woman to be president, I just hope in my heart of hearts that it isn't Hillary. She could be much scarier than people know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home