Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Vermont shuns Minutemen

On Patrol in Vt., Minutemen Are the Outsiders

Vermont citizens offered visiting Minutemen volunteers no help this past weekend. While looking for the Canada/US border, the Minutemen instead were subject to protests and derision from an ill-informed Vermont public. Vermont protesters seemed to think that the Minutemen were a hate group of some kind. I would offer that, at the least, the Minutemen hate illegal immigration and have legitimate complaints about border security to which they are trying to draw some attention. But a hate group? A hate group? Geez, it's hard to believe that that part of the U.S. would simultaniously produce ultra-liberal Vermont, and live-free-or-die New Hampshire, where I'm sure the Minutemen would be welcomed as heroes and provided GPS coordinates to the border.

However, I also believe that the Washington Post reporter, David Fahrenthold, didn't try very hard to quote any Vermont citizens who agreed with the Minuntemen. After all, what kind of boring, non-controversial story would that have been? "Vermont Citizens bring out Welcome Wagon for Minutemen." Zzzzzz....."And then, some local restaurants brought us some coffee and bagels out on the border. They were soooooo nice..."

I for one am certain that there are more Vermont citizens that at least agree in principal with what the Minuteman Project is really about, which in my mind is our nation's safety and our dangerous over-dependence on cheap, illegal labor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home