Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Moving - Yahoo!

Moving is stressful. I am happy to be moving along in life, but it does have its lower moments.

Usually, I'm not one to pepper my posts with profanity. In fact, I'm a strong believer in the Harrison Ford view of profanity. Paraphrasing, but he has said that cursing is a complete lack of imagination and creativity with the English language. I am in complete agreement with him on this issue.

However, in my previous post, I got fairly colorful, which is not like me. I chalk it up to the stress of moving. Also--I have forgotten that older family members now read my posts. If my mother had read that "Everest" post, she wouldn't have understood it, and she would have been offended by the big F word. She may have read it...I don't know. I apologize for the profanity.

I usually don't care to go over what I have written before, and every now and then I really have to stop myself from copy-editing my posts, because it would change them. For the better, perhaps...but that would be my call. I do have a staunch policy with myself to not edit too much, because the writing gets less fresh and more formal as I edit, and I want to get good enough at first-draft writing that I hardly ever have to edit. The blog helps in both of those writing needs.

Moving, however, does not help in any creative endeavor. At least I am sleeping well. But our whole living situation is up-ended as our time in Utah draws to a close. Moving from the most remote area in the lower 48 has huge draw-backs, too, like actually taking over eight hours to get to the next big city to the East. Argh...at least there is a "Taco Cabana" restaurant there. YUM!

Our things, like furniture, art, blankets, books, and crap, are sitting in the front of the house and the pile grows every day. I am glad I've only been married eight years. The longer you are married, the more that stuff will just pile up...in closets, on shelves, etc. The colossal job of clearing out our married stuff could have been much, much worse; if we had been together 20 years I couldn't imagine the cleaning. Or if we had children. It will bad enough moving three cats and an elderly dog.

So, I apologize for getting a little loose with the language previously...but the macho Everest dudes can STILL kiss my ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home