Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Secret Santa in KCMO

Secret Santa reveals his identity - Yahoo! News

I grew up hearing about this guy on the local news in Kansas City. He always made for a great local story around Christmas, and I always secretly hoped I'd run into him...ahem...so, you know, he could be my "Secret Santa" and drop some cash my way.

However, Secret Santa always seemed to pick the people that needed him the most. Call it providence, call it "social profiling," call it what you will, but Secret Santa always, ALWAYS, helped the right person at the right time. No one ever knew who he was...until today.

Now, his life might be coming to an end and he wants others to emulate what he has done to help so many. I sincerely hope other people want to be a "Secret Santa." It really is better to give than to receive--and the other secret about Secret Santa was how he gave. No strings were attatched to his gifts; he truly gave of his material wealth and out of his heart, because he never wanted anything back, no favors, no strings, no control. And that is the bigger gift in this whole story, I think...the gift that your heart receives when you give out of love, not because you expect something in return. Secret Santa didn't care about all that, because he used to be poor once.

Many wealthy people have this problem, I think. They want control over their money, how they give it, and what the receiver does to repay them, or make them look good, or whatever. That is not true giving. That's more like a creepy loan of some kind in which the soul is collateral.

No matter what happens in the life of Secret Santa, be aware of the gift he has given all of us with his example of true charity and cheerfulness. His actions, to me, exemplify the true spirit of Christmas, and the ministry of the original Saint Nicholas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home