Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Holiday Tree? Nonsense!

Boston "holiday tree" stirs controversy - Yahoo! News

Oh dear. The City of Boston is making a mistake, I think.

I think Christmas trees, are well, CHRISTMAS TREES, not HOLIDAY trees. Jews don't put up "Hannuka Trees," after all. And I've never seen a "Kwanza Tree," so why on earth would anyone be paranoid enough, concerned that other faiths would feel excluded, to change the name of a Christmas tree to a "Holiday" tree? I would think if the city of Boston is THAT sensitive, that the act of putting a Christmas tree up in a public place would be banned; after all, we all KNOW it is still a Christmas tree deep down, not a Holiday tree.

I love the logger's quote in this:

The Nova Scotia logger who cut down the 48-foot (14-meter) tree was indignant and said he would not have donated the tree if he had known of the name change.

"I'd have cut it down and put it through the chipper," Donnie Hatt told a Canadian newspaper. "If they decide it should be a holiday tree, I'll tell them to send it back. If it was a holiday tree, you might as well put it up at Easter."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home