Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

N.O. Wireless

PE.com | Big Easy launches free wireless system

Yahoo!

I hope I have a new laptop by the time we get to New Orleans so I can try out the city's free service. This is a great idea to help get the city back on its feet, and Mayor Nagin is right on this point:

In case of another storm, the network will be able to connect telephone calls via the Internet.

"What we learned is a network like this is important as a backup in case all other communications fail."


I wonder why nobody thought about backup communications until now...hm. Anyway--we found out when we'll be heading south. We should be there two weeks from today. There has been a lot of "three month anniversary" coverage of New Orleans lately; it doesn't look good, to be honest. I'm alternately anxious and extremely curious to go and see just what in the heck is going on with my own two eyes. From Rita Cosby to Rachel Maddow, it seems that everyone suddenly has a N.O. update.

My husband and I are going to help out my mother-in-law with some real estate she owns there. From what she has told us, here are a few things that are really going on in N.O.:

--You can't get a rental car to save your life, period. If you fly in, you're taking a taxi. Everywhere.

--Wendy's is offering an $11,000 signing bonus to new employees because they can't find any. Anywhere.

--It will take ten years to rebuild the city (she's in the construction business, she would know).

--Her property was not damaged; however, some work is needing to be finished and there are no contractors to do little odd jobs. They are all working on big jobs for big money. NOBODY is availble to repair minor damage. Nobody.

I wish I was in more of a writing mood; I've not been real excited to sit and write lately. I have a lot on my mind, from our upcoming adventure south to actually moving to a whole new place, hopefully before next spring. I'll endeavor to check in more often. As I am fond of saying...we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home