Coyote's Canyon Journal

"Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -- Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

My Photo
Name:
Location: Canyon State of Mind, United States

I enjoy writing. I don't actually make a living with my English degree, so I keep a blog for fun. The blog is first draft, and as a former editor I apologize for any weird errors that may be present. I do not apologize for writing about things that matter to me. Thanks for reading.

Friday, December 02, 2005

I love you!

A molecule of passionate love?

Gosh! Finally, an explanation for why people lose their minds when they are falling in love. I have known people that are "addicted" to this love molecule, NGF. Once the "passion" is gone, the relationship they were in ends as well. That inexplicable behavior (which I judge as a lack of willpower) makes more sense to me now.

Although the passion fades, hopefully the better part of actually being an adult human being takes over. If you choose to stay in the relationship, you learn and grow, and love turns into something much more real, stable, and challenging. Sometimes, a really nice bonus-round of the NGF molecule happens with a long-time partner. I know that's been true for me, anyway.

Sometimes, a really nice bonus-round of the NGF molecule just...happens. Ugh. That's where the challenges come in. It's a chemical, for god's sake! Possibly, could you buy a "patch" in the future to fend off unwanted NGF molecules? Or would you rather feel love, even though you wouldn't act on it? Weird to think about.

Thanks to Free Talk Livefor sharing this story -- what a great podcast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home